Skip to main content

June, the Malawian literature month

This blog, unusually, dedicates the month of June to Malawian literature.

I have discussed about Malawian literature on this blog, of course, but none has ever been as constant as I challenge myself to do in this month of June.

The lasttime I commented on Malawian literature, I only remained with a few steps to declare it dead. But, it was because of the material that I was focusing on which, much as it might be generalisable to Malawian literature, it was not the absolute.   

Nevertheless, to be cautious and safe, I am not assuming that June is the month for this blog to celebrate Malawian literature. I am not focusing on celebration. I will just focus on it as it comes – the Malawian literature.

So, if it gives the reasons for celebration, I will celebrate. If it takes away the reasons for celebration, I will commiserate. In the end, I aim to try to give a picture of Malawian literature – mostly as it is published in the weekend papers. This picture from an ardent follower of the Malawian literature with the rights to brag to having been close to it as a producer, consumer and even 'server'.

Enough of the poetry, so this month I will be focusing on published stories in the weekend papers of the Malawi News and The Weekend Nation.

I know, and appreciate, that there has been a mushrooming of online websites (such as Tiwerenge and Nthanda Review) that publish Malawian literature. However, for this particular moment, I will disregard them in a way owing to my opting to be practical as well as their reach (the lack of it, really, at this material time).

So, in this month of June, I will aim to at least provide a commentary on a Short Story that appears in one of the weekend papers. I am hoping that the editors will not have to stagger one story over three weeks or the whole month because that would be a stumbling block.

I do not want to do a random selection. So, my plan is that I will start with the Malawi News and will move to The Weekend Nation the other week and go back to the former before finishing with the latter.

I hope to have my little commentary ready and up at least by the Tuesday following that Saturday.
Is this achievable? I hope so, although I know how lazy I get these days with writing but, for this cause, I want to be faithful.


So, if you are a fan of Malawian literature (or what passes for it), then stay with me for this month. We might find a common ground – or not! I will appreciate that, anyway. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The hate that hate produced: the John Chilembwe story

1915 : a middle-aged man in his mid-forties stands amongst a group of his loyal followers. They are about 200. Perhaps, it is a chilly rainy night with the silence of a graveyard surrounding the church. “The white man has sat on us for so long,” declares the tall man with obviously a mild temper. “We need to do something, we need to act. We must send him packing from our land.” Possibly, the men listening to him shake their heads in unison. Others are yet to comprehend what is driving the man of God in front of them for they have known him as a quiet man for a long time. Thus, the story of John Chilembwe’s rebellion begins, in the January of 1915, years long before the wind of freedom and change begins to sweep in the 1960s. Many years before the bells of freedom begin to ring on the African continent. John Chilembwe, writes Robert I. Rotberg in a 2005 Harvard Magazine article, was not a radical man such that nobody could expect him to stage a rebellion. He appeared

DNA's feminism

The song that placed DNA on a pedestal, Mukandipepesele , was not – at least in gender relations – ambivalent. It was clear. It was a song that portrayed the world of men: a world in which they make mistakes that leave a trail of hurt – unintentionally; and, thereafter, they seek to make things right – with little success most times.   Now, he has returned. This time, his album is called Dziko la amuna . In recent years, an album has never been ambiguous as the 13 track album that DNA has released. The literal translation of Dziko la amuna is twofold: one, it is a world for males; two, like in the song that introduced him on the local music scene, it is a world of males – that invisible yet occupied space. In the song that introduces the album, Odala , there is little that relates to the album title. It is, however, in the second song that DNA takes his audience through the world of males. A world in which value is based on the monetary possessions of a man. Not his intention

Wet pillars

If someone ever tells you that in chasing dreams then you need not rest, nor chase anything else, then you will have met a liar. Or a prophet. Or a fake motivational speaker. Most likely, two of these. For, there will be moments when those dreams become elusive and frustrating. In that, you will need something else – a distraction. Or, a detour – a longer route to the dreams. You do not give up on dreams. Not that easily. But you detour from them and return with a new energy. She never had to sit under a fake motivational speaker, so she knows all there is to chasing dreams. From an actual practice. “The thing is: I had my life planned.” She gave herself deadlines: marriage? Yes, I want that thing but not before getting my Master qualification. Children? Yes, those tiny little angels; I want them too, but only after I am properly married. Love? Yes, that too. Overflowing. I want it. Anytime. Anyhow. And, of those, love was the first one to come. It found her w